Article references (38 references )
- World Health Organization. Global Health Observatory (GHO) data 2015. WHO. 2015;3:23.
- UNAIDS, Joint United Nations Programme on HIV and AIDS. Factsheet July 2017. Global HIV Statistics. 2017;1-8.
- UNAIDS, Joint United Nations Programme on HIV and AIDS. UNAIDS DATA 2017. UNAIDS. 2017; 1-248.
- Kharsany ABM, Karim QA. HIV infection and AIDS in
Sub-saharan Africa: current status, challenges and
opportunities. Open AIDS J. 2016 Apr 8;10:34-48. PubMed | Google
- Statistics South Africa. Statistical release p0302
mid-year population estimates 2017. In: Africa SS, editor. South Africa
2017. p. 1-22.
- Avert. HIV and AIDS in South Africa. Acessed on November 14, 2018.
- South African National AIDS Council (SANAC), Limpopo Provincial AIDS Council (LPAC). Annual progress report 2015/16. Provincial Strategic Plan (PSP) 2012-2016. Acessed on November 14, 2018.
- World Health Organization. Antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection in adults and adolescents: recommendations for a public health approach. WHO. 2010. Google Scholar
- Department of Health Limpopo. Operational plan on comprehensive HIV and AIDS Care. 2015.
- World Health Organization. Consolidated guidelines on the use of antiretroviral drugs for treating and preventing HIV infection: recommendations for a public health approach. WHO. 2013. Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. Consolidated guidelines on the use of antiretroviral drugs for treating and preventing HIV infection: recommendations for a public health approach: WHO. 2016. Google Scholar
- Chaiyachati KH, Ogbuoji O, Price M, Suthar AB, Negussie EK, Bärnighausen T. Interventions to improve adherence to antiretroviral therapy: a rapid systematic review. AIDS. 2014 Mar;28 Suppl 2:S187-204. PubMed | Google Scholar
- Thompson MA, Mugavero MJ, Amico K et al. Guidelines for improving entry into and retention in care and antiretroviral adherence for persons with hiv: Evidence-based recommendations from an international association of physicians in aids care panel. Ann Intern Med. 2012;156 (11):817-33. PubMed | Google Scholar
- Xu L, Munir K, Kanabkaew C, Le Coeur S. Factors influencing antiretroviral treatment suboptimal adherence among perinatally HIV-infected adolescents in Thailand. PloS One. 2017;12 (2):e0172392. PubMed | Google Scholar
- Ndiaye M, Nyasulu P, Nguyen H et al. Risk factors for suboptimal antiretroviral therapy adherence in HIV-infected adolescents in Gaborone, Botswana: a pilot cross-sectional study. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2013 Sep 11;7:891-5. PubMed | Google Scholar
- Heestermans T, Browne JL, Aitken SC, Vervoort SC, Klipstein-Grobusch K. Determinants of adherence to antiretroviral therapy among HIV-positive adults in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review. BMJ Glob Health. 2016;1(4):e000125. PubMed | Google Scholar
- Johnson MO, Chesney MA, Goldstein RB et al. Positive
provider interactions, adherence self-efficacy, and
adherence to antiretroviral medications among HIV infected
adults: a mediation model. AIDS Patient
Care STDs. 2006;20(4):258-68. PubMed | Google
- Dewing S, Mathews C, Fatti G, Grimwood A, Boulle A. Antiretroviral adherence interventions in Southern Africa: implications for using HIV treatments for prevention. Curr HIV/AIDS Rep. 2014;11(1):63-71. PubMed | Google Scholar
- Chesney MA, Ickovics J, Chambers D et al. Self-reported adherence to antiretroviral medications among participants in HIV clinical trials: the AACTG adherence instruments. AIDS Care. 2000;12(3):255-66. PubMed | Google Scholar
- Meintjes G, Conradie J, Cox V et al. Adult antiretroviral therapy guidelines 2014. South Afr J HIV Med. 2014;15(4):121-43. Google Scholar
- Sabaté E. Adherence to long-term therapies: evidence for action: WHO; 2003. Google Scholar
- Sethi AK,
Celentano DD, Gange SJ, Moore
RD, Gallant JE. Association between
adherence to antiretroviral therapy
and human immunodeficiency virus
drug resistance. Clin Infect
Dis. 2003;37(8):1112-8. PubMed | Google
- Mthembu TG, Van Wyk B. Patients' knowledge and beliefs about antiretroviral treatment and factors associated with adherence in Mpumalanga Province, South Africa. Health SA Gesondheid (Online). 2014;19(1):1-7. Google Scholar
- Charurat M, Oyegunle M, Benjamin R et al. Patient retention and adherence to antiretrovirals in a large antiretroviral therapy program in Nigeria: a longitudinal analysis for risk factors. PloS One. 2010;5(5):e10584. PubMed | Google Scholar
- Reda AA, Biadgilign S. Determinants of adherence to antiretroviral therapy among HIV-infected patients in Africa. AIDS Res Treat. 2012;2012:574656. PubMed | Google Scholar
- Bhat V, Ramburuth M, Singh M et al. Factors associated with poor adherence to anti-retroviral therapy in patients attending a rural health centre in South Africa. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2010;29(8):947-53. PubMed | Google Scholar
- Morojele NK, Kekwaletswe CT, Nkosi S. Associations between alcohol use, other psychosocial factors, structural factors and antiretroviral therapy (ART) adherence among South African ART recipients. AIDS and Behav. 2014;18(3):519-24. PubMed | Google Scholar
- Hormes JM, Gerhardstein KR, Griffin PT. Brief screening for alcohol use disorders in HIV primary care. HIV Clin. 2011;23(4):8. PubMed | Google Scholar
- Tapp C, Milloy M, Kerr T et al. Female gender predicts lower access and adherence to antiretroviral therapy in a setting of free healthcare. BMC Infect Dis. 2011;11(1):86. PubMed | Google Scholar
- Boima V, Ademola AD, Odusola AO et al. Factors
associated with medication nonadherence among hypertensives in Ghana
and Nigeria. Int J Hypertens. 2015; 2015: 205716. PubMed | Google Scholar
- Venkatesh KK, Srikrishnan A, Mayer KH et al. Predictors of nonadherence to highly active antiretroviral therapy among HIV-infected South Indians in clinical care: implications for developing adherence interventions in resource-limited settings. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2010 Dec;24(12):795-803. PubMed | Google Scholar
- McKinney O, Modeste NN, Lee JW, Gleason PC, Maynard-Tucker G. Determinants of antiretroviral therapy adherence among women in southern Malawi: healthcare providers' perspectives. AIDS Res Treat. 2014;2014:489370. PubMed | Google Scholar
- Markos E, Worku A, Davey G. Adherence to ART in PLWHA and Yirgalem Hospital, South Ethiopia. Ethiop J Health Dev. 2008;22(2):174-9. Google Scholar
- Langebeek N, Gisolf EH, Reiss P et al. Predictors and correlates of adherence to combination antiretroviral therapy (ART) for chronic HIV infection: a meta-analysis. BMC Med. 2014 Aug 21;12:142. PubMed | Google Scholar
- Hornschuh S, Dietrich JJ, Tshabalala C, Laher F.
Antiretroviral treatment adherence: knowledge and experiences
among adolescents and young adults in Soweto, South
Africa. AIDS Res Treat. 2017;2017:5192516. PubMed | Google
- Mbuagbaw L, Thabane L, Ongolo-Zogo P et al. Trends and determining factors associated with adherence to antiretroviral therapy (ART) in Cameroon: a systematic review and analysis of the CAMPS trial. AIDS Res Ther. 2012;9(1):37. PubMed | Google Scholar
- Simoni JM, Kurth AE, Pearson CR, Pantalone DW,
Merrill JO, Frick PA. Self-report measures of antiretroviral
therapy adherence: a review with recommendations for
HIV research and clinical management.
AIDS and Behav. 2006;10(3):227-45. PubMed | Google
- Stirratt MJ, Dunbar-Jacob J, Crane HM et al. Self-report measures of medication adherence behavior: recommendations on optimal use. Transl Behav Med. 2015;5(4):470-82. PubMed | Google Scholar